Naloxone In an overdose, opioids can slow breathing to the point of death. Nasal naloxone blocks the opioids and restores normal breathing when sprayed into the nose or injected into the muscle of someone who has overdosed. It is safe, easy to administer, and has no potential for abuse.
Accessing Naloxone (NARCAN)
You can access Naloxone (Narcan) in multiple ways.
- From your doctor
- From specific pharmacies with a standing order
- From specific state-funded programs
- As a result of the Good Samaritan Law, Doctors can prescribe Naloxone (Narcan) to users and their family members.
- No prescription needed where there is a standing order it is covered under some insurance plans or can pay out of pocket.
Pharmacies carrying Naloxone (Narcan) for over the counter purchase:
- Inman Pharmacy 1414 Cambridge St. Cambridge
- Mass General Hospital 55 Fruit St. Boston
- Codman Sq. Health Center 637 Washington St. Dorchester
Holyoke Health Center 230 Maple St. Holyoke
|All Walgreens||All Eaton Apothecary||Cambridge Health Alliance||East Boston Neighborhood Health Center|
|All CVS||All Rite Aid||1493 Cambridge Street, Cambridge||
10 Grove Street, East Boston
20 Maverick Square, East Boston
|Inman Pharmacy||Mass General Hospital||Codman Sq. Health Center||Holyoke Health Center|
|1414 Cambridge Street, Cambridge||55 Fruit Street, Boston||637 Washington Street, Dorchester||230 Maple Street, Holyoke|
- State-funded sites that have Naloxone (Narcan) supplies available to active users and by- standers. You can contact these sites for details on how to access Naloxone (Narcan).
- AIDS Action Committee (617) 599-0246 359 Green Street, Cambridge MA www.aac.org
- Boston Public Health Commission (617) 534-3967774 Albany Street Boston, MA www.bphc.org
- Healthy Streets Outreach Program (339) 440-5633 100 Willow Street 2nd Floor Lynn, MA
- Greater Lawrence Health Center (978) 685-7663 100 Water Street Lawrence, MA www.glfhc.org
- North Suffolk Mental Health (617) 912-7550 265 Beach Street Revere, MA
For Family Members
Learn to Cope: Naloxone is available at support groups for parents and family members dealing with a loved one suffering from addiction. Family members can be trained on how to properly carry and administer Naloxone (Narcan) to their loved one.
www.learn2cope.org for meeting locations and times.
FOR A FULL LISTING OF TRAINING SITES VISIT WWW.HELPLINE-ONLINE.COM OR CALL 1-800-327-5050